Sunday, June 30, 2013

Blue & Orange Summer Ribbon Wreath



I started this wreath months ago, like all the way back in November or December.  Originally, I wanted a Gator ribbon wreath, but I couldn't find the right ribbon at Hobby Lobby.  However, I still like the combination of blue and orange, so I started on it.  Part way through this wreath, I decided to make a Gator Balloon Wreath instead.  The Gator Balloon wreath stayed up for months and looked great.  The summer heat finally got to it, and the balloons started melting off of it, so it was time to put up a new wreath.  Thus, this blue & orange ribbon wreath came back out, and I finally finished it.  I really like how it turned out.

Supplies:
--Styrofoam wreath form
--a variety of ribbons
--sequin pins (lots of them)
--wooden letter
--acrylic paint
--paint brushes and sponges
--scissors

Step 1:  Cut your ribbon into strips.  The strips should be about 4" long at the most.  If the strips are any longer, then they will be difficult to use.

Step 2:  Attach your ribbon to the wreath form using your sequin pins, 1 piece of ribbon at a time.  To attach the ribbon, roll it into a loop, and then pin it on the inside.  The number of pins you use will depend on the size of your ribbon.  You may also want to put in an additional pin to make the ribbon lean one way or the other.

Step 3:  Continue pinning the ribbons until the wreath form has no white space.  I just did the front and sides, but some people also do the back of the wreath to make it fuller.

Step 4:  Paint wooden letter as desired.  Let dry.  I painted spots on mine to make it match with the ribbon.

Step 5:  Add ribbon to wooden letter and attach to wreath form.  There are a couple of ways you can do this step.  You can use glue to attach the ribbon to the back of the letter, and then glue or pins to attach it to the wreath form.  However, your wooden letter may be too heavy for the glue to hold up for the length of time that you want to use your wreath.  Instead of glue, I just tied the ribbon around the letter, and then I used a bunch of sequin pins to pin the top of the ribbon to the wreath form.

TAH DAH!!!!  Your wreath is done and ready to put up.

This wreath was pretty simple to make, but it was very time consuming and by far my least favorite wreath to make.  It looks really good and was worth it. 



5 comments:

  1. That's too fun! I love it! Tanks for sharing at Pinworthy Projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! Love it! Will have to make me a Kentucky one for basketball season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this, the colours you chose are perfect!! I would love for you to come and share this at our Much Ado About Monday link party! As a bonus we are also having a great giveaway. :)

    http://www.huckleberrylove.com/2013/07/much-ado-about-monday-no-17-and-great.html

    Hope to see you there,

    Jamie
    www.huckleberrylove.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is super cute. I have been wanting to make one of these for a while. Thanks for the info.


    www.adailydoseofd.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun colors! So bright and summery!

    ReplyDelete