Sunday, March 17, 2013
8-Bit Mario Magnets
I saw these coasters on Pinterest, and I thought they looked like fun. I looked at Etsy for coasters and other household items made out of perler beads, and I thought it might be fun to make my own. Instead of making coasters, I decided to make Mario magnets. My husband is a big Mario fan, and we like to play Mario games together when we have spare time, so I went with that theme. (There are lots of other perler options, like Zelda, Dr. Who, and Star Trek.)
I obtained some perler beads from Target, and got to work. The boards that came with the beads were smaller than the examples I found on Etsy, so I changed the patterns to fit the boards. I plan on adding easy to follow patterns for the ones I created later this week.
My husband really liked the Mario patterns, so we went to Joann's today and bought bigger boards and more colors. The beads I bought the previous day didn't have all of the colors I needed to create some of the Mario characters. With the bigger boards, I was able to just look at examples on Etsy and recreate them. I won't be sharing those patterns because they are not my own, but I will link to some of them. There are so many options, and it's easy to work from the finished example if you magnify the image.
-perler beads & peg board
-glue gun & glue stick (if magnet isn't sticky enough on its own)
Step 1: Find patterns you want to recreate and buy corresponding perler beads and boards (or use what you have).
Step 2: Place beads on your board according to your pattern.
Step 3: Heat iron to medium. Once the iron has warmed up, place wax paper on your bead project and then put your iron on it. You want to leave the iron on the beads long enough to fuse the beads, but not so long that you are melting the plastic boards. The directions recommended 10-30 seconds, but it took significantly longer than that to make sure all of the beads were uniformly fused.
Step 4: Once your project has cooled, place a magnet on the back of it. I used the stick-on magnets, but they were not sticky enough, so I used a hot glue gun to make them stick.
Here are some examples of what they look like unfinished:
Now, for some closeups of the finished magnets:
(This project was featured on House of Hepworths.)