Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Pearl Knotting Attempt # 1




I recently found a Craftsy class on jewelry making for about 50% off, and I was excited to get it.  It has directions for projects like pearl knotting and chain maille.  At some point in the near future, I really want to try to make chain mail, but I figured that I would start out with something easier.  I bought the supplies listed for the pearl knotting section of the course.  It sounded simple enough, so this past weekend, a friend and I tried out that segment of the course.  As usual, the Craftsy instructor was easy to follow and very detailed.  However, I learned that the silk thread I purchased for the knotting was far too thin. 

All was not lost for I was eventually able to  create a knotted bracelet using the a couple sizes of faux pearls and some seed beads.  I like the color combination in this bracelet, and I made the knot every 3 beads.  I had to put in a lot more lengths of thread than used in the demo because it was so thin, which meant it knotted up easily.  I used the seed beads by the knots because their holes were smaller.

I have ordered several sizes of thicker silk thread, and I look forward to trying the knotting again with the proper supplies. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that it worked out for you. Pearls make lovely bracelets! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete