Tuesday, January 14, 2014

DIY Bib & Medal Holder



I have been horribly inattentive to my blog the last month...or two.  I've been busy at work and home and have been doing other things, but I am returning to my weekly blogging.

For one of my husband's Christmas presents this year, I made him a race bib and medal holder.  Last October, we started participating in local races for fun and fitness.  They help motivate you to keep training and improving, and they can be a lot of fun.

My bib and medal holder is based on some ideas I saw online. I modified the words and the layout to fit our needs.

Here are some pics of our board.  We haven't had a chance to hang it up yet.



In the fitness room where it will eventually be hung:




Closeup of the hooks:




Closeup of the vinyl lettering:






Supplies:
  • wood board (mine was approximately 12" X 36")
  • paint (I used spray paint)
  • hooks
  • vinyl letters
  • transfer vinyl
  • cutting tool (I used my Silhouette)
  • hanger hook
  • hammer
  • awl

Directions:
Step 1:  Come up with a plan for the board layout, color, etc. and get your supplies.

Step 2: Paint your board.  Let it dry.

Step 3: Measure out the space for your bibs and medals versus where you want your vinyl lettering.  Add your hooks.  I added 2 sets of hooks for the 2 main bib sizes, and then had a row of hooks below the bib area for medals (some races give them to all finishers, like the 15K we are doing in February).

Step 4: Cut your vinyl letters and attach them to your board.  In order to add your letters, you will need to use the transfer vinyl. (If you need help with the process for adding the vinyl, there are some easy to follow tutorials on YouTube.)

Step 5: Add your hanger hooks to the back.

Tah dah!!! You have your very own personalized bib and medal holder.

You can change it around in variety of ways--only a word rather than a phrase, no words, only a bib holder, only a medal holder, add a shelf, etc.

 I really like how ours turned out, and I look forward to adding more bibs.  On a funny note, can you spot the error in the writing on the bib holder?  I didn't even notice the error until after I gave the holder to my husband...and he hasn't seemed to notice yet.  I think it looks fine, but it made me chuckle a little bit when I noticed it.


5 comments:

  1. Not that looks cool and handy. Thanks for sharing!

    ***The Quiet Mom blogging Ostrich Salpicao Recipe (http://thequietmom.com/blog/recipe/ostrich-salpicao)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the quotes! thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for linking up to the TWIRL AND TAKE A BOW link Party!
    Hugs,
    Karin
    http://arttisbeauty.blogspot.com/2014/01/twirl-and-take-bow-link-party-and_21.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Appreciable and informative. I visited it the very first time. And I appreciate your hard work. You can see my site if you want to find more on Bib Holder. Bib Holder clips are used to keep the protective bib in place over a patient's neck and chest.

    ReplyDelete